She just landed a $3,000,000 account and it was effortless, that’s when she knew her marketing to women approach was working. She started with no database so working together we developed her highly compelling and authentically focused message, she was quite clear she wanted to focus on women. She knew she needed to add more leads, connections, and potential clients to her database as this would be the source to meeting her personal goals and firm mandates. Using her meager database, she started promoting her events… and that’s when she began to get it.
Her events were not just about filling the seats and closing the deal. Her events for women were her most powerful marketing and branding tool. Using her compelling message, staying clear on her path to marketing to women small accounts began to trickle in. $100,000, $250,000 not enough to meet her goals but it said her process was starting to work. She continued to reach out and build relationships with other women who attended her event. Her message was so clear it resonated with every woman she spoke with and that’s when it happened.
She was meeting a woman for coffee, she had met with her twice after she attended her women’s event. She really enjoyed this woman and they had great conversations. She never pressed the woman about her financial affairs but often spoke about her desire to engage and educate women.
It was during one of these natural conversations that the advisor said “If you ever need help with managing your money, I would love to work with you.” Next thing you know the women said “I would like to work with you as well”. Unbeknownst to the advisor the woman and her husband had over $9,000,000 and she immediately transferred over $3,000,000 to the advisor.
The industry teaches advisors to take a more direct path (prospect, qualify, sell and close) but most women prefer building a relationship first. They want to know who you are and whom they are dealing with, they need to feel confident that you truly care about your clients, this is the kind of information that comes from building a relationship first. This process is clearly contrary to the traditional model but when you push women too hard or too fast you will immediately turn them off.
Working with women has traditionally been considered a long-term process with “women being slow to make decisions.” But from my coaching experience I will tell you that women will take action more quickly when they know exactly who you are, why you do what you do and you stay clearly focused on your mission to engage and educate women.
Don’t think you can get these results with some minor tweaks to your business, no sir that won’t work, in fact women will see it as simply a ploy to get their account. You need to commit hook line and sinker to engaging women, that’s when it all comes to fruition.
Start with these 5 marketing to women tips that generate results:
- Your story focused on why you care about women – This is absolutely mandatory.
- A compelling introduction that authentically focuses on a particular tribe of women – Not just EVERY woman nor a demographic group, it must be a tribe of women.
- A process that is designed to appeal to women – You can’t claim you focus on women and then push them through the same old process, it doesn’t work that way.
- A marketing strategy that screams “Women” – Your emails, your events must speak women in their style and interests.
- Consistency – Staying the course and not changing your message based on whom you are speaking to, this will TOTALLY undermine your brand and progress. In fact each time you change your message you are taking a step backwards in your desire to build your brand.
If you want results this is the path, any shortcuts will simply delay your progress and significantly reduce your results.