Women’s Seminars That Turn Women OFF
OK Really? It’s 2016 and I just reviewed a women’s retirement presentation designed by one of the top broker dealers in the country. My blood is boiling. It looks no different than a retirement presentation hosted in the 1980’s to address men and retirement, the only difference is the statistics have changed and they have added new women stats.
It was sooooo dry, and filled with statistics (which women don’t like) in typed text, the only color was on the bar charts and graphs, it was LIFELESS. I would prefer the advisor NOT host an event for women as it showed no sensitivity to what women want. Really, you want to attract women and this is the BEST you can do?
So what do women want?
There are significant differences between seminar programs designed for men vs women. So many advisors tell me “seminars don’t work anymore,” Well yeah, if you continue to use the more manly, male oriented seminar process and hope to get more female clients, you are absolutely right they don’t work.
But when you convert your MANLY program into a more female friendly process amazing things will occur.
A MANLY program:
- Called Seminars; Seminars to a woman (and probably to a man) suggests long and boring, not exactly attractive to a woman who is always pressed for time and would prefer the cliff notes if you have them. A boring invitation is the first hint that this event is NOT for women.
- About Problems, Products and Solutions; Men are warriors, they want to focus on the problem and then provide the solution. Women are not nearly as linear and this style can often create more fear and anxiety, not exactly ideal to get her to take the next step. Women are more concerned with issues and real life situations that can and do affect their lives.
- Let me tell you; Most events for men are simple and straight-forward, I’m the expert and let me tell you what you need to know, women are getting a little tired of being told what to do and want to be more more engaged and involved in the solution. A presentation filled with statistics and charts is a red flag indicating an old school presentation.
- Disconnected participants; Seminars for men are not exactly a “bonding” experience, in fact most men may never talk with another participant the whole time they are there, in fact you may be lucky if they actually talk to you! This feeling of being disconnected does not play well with a woman’s desire to communicate and share with others while creating that connection. Women work best in a community setting and it’s up to you to create that environment.
- Boardroom and black leather; There is not one thing about a boardroom that women like and black leather may have it’s place but it is NOT at a financial presentation for women. Who to say a learning environment can’t be beautiful?
A WOMANLY program:
- Called Events or Workshops; events include a social feel, a fun atmosphere almost even festive. Workshops invoke a feeling of an environment supporting a woman’s desire to learn and engage, while having fun. Let the personality of the event shine through on the invitation.
- About Issues; Women are emotionally driven. When you can focus on the issues surrounding the problem, you will get a much more positive response from women. This is why statistics and scare tactics don’t help you in your effort to get women to make changes, even when those changes are important to her future. Stories work best, real stories perhaps your own, someone you know or examples from clients, stories make it personal for women.
- You tell me; Women want to be engaged in the presentation, sharing information with each other while you as the presenter guide them to recognizing their own issues and possible solutions. They want to help each other become more financially secure while they are learning themselves. Asking a few open ended questions pre-event or at the very beginning of the event sets a fresh and authentic tone for women, increasing their interest to attend and participate. They know this event is going to be different.
- Social and Interactive; Women want to talk and share, as a presenter it’s important that you introduce all the participants and encourage them to share and engage in conversation with each other. This creates that “bonding” experience and makes them feel like they are a part of a club. Using name tags or table tents with names writing in big letters allows you to call on participants drawing each woman into the conversation.
- Warm and fuzzy; Women want to feel comfortable and are VERY aware of their environment. Using more feminine décor, warming up the room, making an effort to create a warm and fuzzy environment can tell the woman “Wow, they really care about women”. Just table cloths and flower arrangements can make a big difference, but don’t stop there make it fun and inviting.
It’s not difficult to turn your MANLY seminars into WOMANLY events. Focus on the 5 tips for WOMANLY events and watch what happens at your next event. There will be more energy, more interaction, it will be more fun and the bonus is you will generate more clients and referrals.
We created our Savvy Women Seminar to help you address every issue listed in this article. If you haven’t already started using the Savvy Women Seminar apply the promo code SAVVY and save $500 off the purchase price.