All women bring “baggage” to their business which impedes their ability to grow and succeed (yep that includes ME). BUT I must admit that Female financial advisors working in a male dominated environment often bring more baggage than most. For most women the baggage comes from our childhood and/or life experiences but for female financial advisors we add more baggage based on the training we receive from our industry.
The reality is we all have baggage and when you think you have just eliminated some, new baggage pops up impacting us in a different way. As women we must be vigilant in our defense and desire to shed this baggage, eliminating these self induced hurdles to achieving success.
As a female financial advisor our baggage shows up in a number of ways. Based on last week’s presentation to 50 female financial advisors here are some real life indications of the baggage that prevents growth. As you read through this list mark down the ones that resonate with you:
- You hesitate to ask your assistant to do anything more for fear you will be branded a “bitch” – Oh yeah ladies that is real.
- Your Prospect ALWAYS comes first; you will totally disrupt your schedule and your life in order to accommodate a prospects life and schedule.
- You may go all day without eating as you’re so focused on giving everyone else the attention they deserve.
- You never get to the gym to exercise because you are too tired with too much on your plate – even though going to the gym will give you more energy and make you more productive.
- You are constantly late and rushing as something always comes up at the last minute
- There is always a “crisis” going on in your life that you must react to (often self induced)
- You hesitate to speak out at branch meetings for fear of not fitting in.
- You try to work more hours than most so that you will be perceived in a positive manner even when you know you could be working a lot more efficiently.
- There is never enough time to prospect as you are too busy answering your own phone and doing administrative tasks. So much for delegation!
- You tend to spend more time in the office being seen rather than spending your time out networking which is your strength.
If you identified with any of these 10 issues perhaps it’s time to start shedding the baggage in your business and your life. Finding a business coach or life coach can truly expedite your process and accelerate your progress. Getting rid of the baggage can do more for your success than any new idea, process or marketing strategy. So let’s start cleaning house.