I never knew how hard it is to receive. We go through life focused on not being selfish, giving to others but few women have truly been taught to receive. I know I’m not the only one because most of the female financial advisors I coach have the same problem.
When I ask my clients especially the female advisors “What are you doing well?” there is a long pause as their minds dig deep struggling to verbalize, battling the fear of appearing conceited. Yet when I ask them what isn’t working the list flows off their tongue in rapid fire bringing lots of emotion to our call.
As women we will never achieve the greatness we are destined to reach until we can learn to give AND receive. Being able to receive allows us to stand in our power, acknowledging our strengths, gaining confidence in our accomplishments, fueling our fire. This is a far cry from being conceited. When we deny ourselves this recognition we create a self imposed ceiling preventing the growth and progress we want.
While for many receiving comes easy for many of us hard charging, get it done kind of women receiving is a process we must learn. Here I am almost 53 years young and I too am working through this process.
- The first step is recognizing the value and the importance of receiving and embracing your strengths. You must grasp that to achieve the success you dreamed learning to receive is a critical component. Success is not just about “doing”.
- Keep a receiving journal, as you begin this receiving journey you may need to keep a mini journal in your purse like me. I am so use to ignoring and brushing off compliments I fail to remember them at the end of the day so I must learn to write them down when I hear them.
- Journal every night listing all the compliments and ways you added value to your clients, your family your world. You need to boastful to help rebuild that aspect of yourself that has been for the most part inactive.
- Accept compliments without disclaimers do not minimize the compliment or the value you provide. For those novice receivers just say “Thank You” and hold your tongue.
- Share your strengths each week with a friend. The more you verbalize the more you are building that aspect of your brain that has been dormant
Don’t expect to become a “Receiver” overnight. We have spent most all of our lives (not counting the terrible two’s and the selfish teenage years) giving most all of our self away. It is time to reclaim who we are as women, it is time to embrace and own our strength. It is then that we can step into our Power and achieve our soul’s desire.