Sometimes my job coaching female financial advisors makes me sad. So many women I start working with are bright, very successful with great production but come to me as if they have been faking their success, as if they don’t deserve it. Their confidence is low, they are often exhausted and have lost their drive and spunk. Yet In just my first hour of coaching I can already see their strength as an advisor, their uniqueness as a woman and the amazing value they bring to their clients, to me it’s clear as day.
These are the clients I enjoy the most, they have so much to work with they just need someone (me) to help them see who they are as a female financial advisor. My role is to encourage them to embrace their difference and recognize it not as a deficit in a stodgy industry but a breath of fresh air in a business struggling with ethics and trust.
It’s so easy to focus on the things we are not doing always recognizing what didn’t work, what hasn’t been done, this is a recipe for disaster especially for a woman. We women are different creatures and must recognize that we must manage ourselves as much as we manage our clients. The tables often turn within the first few coaching calls while I would like to think I’m the solution it’s really the simple exercises I ask the women to start doing on a regular basis and it often starts with your vision.
Create Your Vision: You have heard this a million times but do you have one? I mean a fun, lofty vision? Vision boards are a great way to clarify and reinforce the life and business you want. I have one and so should YOU.
1. Purchase a foam board from Staples, I prefer poster size
2. Gather together a pile of magazines that you can pull from
3. Turn on some great motivational music and grab a glass of wine if you are so inclined. (This is always fun to do with other women)
4. Begin by cutting out pictures that reflect the life you want (remember dream big).
5. Paste your pictures on your board, be creative or not.
6. Post this board where you will see it every day